Recommended for Middle School
Reproducible for one classroom
Teaches standards-based math as it develops children's reading, writing, and thinking skills!
Description & Features
Students read a short story that includes a chart, table, or graph. Next they answer critical thinking questions to improve their understanding of the math concept and develop their critical thinking (comprehension) skills. Students can’t just scan the story for answers—they must carefully analyze and synthesize the information from the text and the chart, table, or graph to explain and support their answers.
Ideal supplement for Montessori schools required to participate in standardized testing, and for Montessori home-schooling. This set of materials helps children prepare for the following tests:
- State Assessment Tests - All 50 states
- Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT7)
- Metropoliton Achievement Test (MAT 7 & MAT 8)
- Stanford Achievement Test™ (SAT/9; SAT/10)
- Iowa Tests of Basic Skills® (ITBS®)
- California Achievement Tests (CAT/6) and many others.
Stories are age-relevant, high-interest, and show students that math is integral to everyday activities.
Table of Contents/Skills
NUMBER AND NUMERATION
- What is Math Detective?
- Key Ideas and Math Topics Charts
- Scoring Rubric/Assessment Criteria
- To the Student: Why You Should Become a Math Detective
- Sample Problem: The Camping Trip
- Math Detective Certificate
- The Train Ride
- Who's Who
- Well Rounded
- The Inca Quipu
- At the Arcade
- The Sieve of Eratosthenes
- Miguel's Memory Games
- A Walk Through the Park
- Mrs. Sanchez's Four Children
- Off to the Movies!
- The Parking Lot Problem
- The Potato Race
- The Camping Trails
- The Mystery Fraction
- The Rainy Week
- The Best Pancake Recipe
- The 2002 State Shopping Spree
- Angle Billboards
- Trip to the Game
- The Perennial Garden
- The Quadrilateral Factory
- The Toy Box Project
- The Case of the Missing Money
- The Math Teachers' Room
- Sum of Six
- The Buttons
- The Spinner Game
- The Game of Dish
- The Breakfast Special
- The Great Goldfish Giveaway
- Jameel's Math Scores
- Cody's Homework Graph
- Temperature Tale of Two Cities
- Making Money Mowing
- The World Record Fish Reports
- The King Orders the Operations!
- Symbol Says
- The Case of the Missing Numbers
- The Busy Elevator
- The Function Machines Go Nuts!